Sunday, December 4, 2011
(Recipe courtesy of Cooks Illustrated)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of black pepper
1 1/2 cups sugar (plus extra for rolling)
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 Tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Place 1 1/2 cups sugar, cream cheese, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and black pepper in large bowl.
4. Pour warm butter over sugar and cream cheese and whisk to combine. (Some lumps of cream cheese will remain but will smooth out later).
5. Whisk in oil until incorporated. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Continue to whisk until smooth.
6. Add flour mixture and mix with rubber spatula until soft dough forms.
7. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces (about 2 Tbsp each).
8. Using hands, roll dough into balls. Roll balls into sugar to coat and space evenly on baking sheet, 12 dough balls per sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten dough balls until 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
9. Bake 1 tray at a time until edges are set and just beginning to brown, 11-13 minutes, rotating tray after 7 minutes.
10. Cool cookies on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.